Distorted sounds

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Audio Distorted sounds

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bsamples bsamples 9 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

I wonder if listening to notes with distortion has an effect with learning pitch?

Do you guys think it’s better to lear with clean tones for example in the case of electric guitar or this doesn’t even matter?

Profile photo of trentvon
    trentvon
    Participant

I think this is not something that you should consider important. A pitch is a pitch regardless of the effects that are put into it.

Profile photo of puncatrator
    puncatrator
    Participant

i dont think you should use distortion because it has harmonics…. if you get used to hearing those extra harmonics it might be harder with normal notes…. unless you always play with distortion!!

Profile photo of trentvon
    trentvon
    Participant

I didn’t know that extra harmonics came with distortion. Would you care to explain this and why it happens?

Profile photo of puncatrator
    puncatrator
    Participant

i dont know a lot about it but i read these articles the other day

http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/harmonics-and-distortion/
    http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/hearing-effects-distortion-effects-part-1/
    http://www.easyeartraining.com/learn/hearing-effects-distortion-effects-part-2/

they explain how distortion fx change the harmonics in the guitar sound….

Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

Thanks for the information!

Profile photo of jtabon
    jtabon
    Participant

It would be better to learn the pitch itself without distortion notes to make sure you got it right. Putting distortions will make it harder for you to learn the right pitch.

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

Could I be wrong to say that distortion is just one segment of timbre? So it basically falls in the same classification as any other instrument, but it is primarily created using a guitar.

Think of the harmonica. It certainly (to my ear) has multiple harmonics which could be confusing if trying to determine intervals (by the untrained ear).

I think, therefore, using any sound to learning pitch will suffice.

Maybe it is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Profile photo of bsamples
    bsamples
    Participant

Maybe it is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

This kind of stuff often blows my mind sometimes, but I agree with you. The things that seem hard sometimes get easier over time, and some things that seem easy end up being the most difficult.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!