Do you always practice with a metronome?

Home Ear Training Forums Tips, Tricks and Resources Tips and Tricks Do you always practice with a metronome?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

Are you one of those people who always uses a metronome to practice their intruments?

Profile photo of kristin_r
    kristin_r
    Participant

I really haven’t used a metronome much at all but I did learn playing music in band class while I was in school with a conductor who taught us our counts. We tapped our foot for the different counts while we were playing. I did that for so many years it’s like I have a metronome built into my brain. For someone that hasn’t had that kind of training a metronome can be a great way to keep tempo. I think that eventually with time and practice you would probably be able to memorize your counting skills and not need a metronome anymore.

Profile photo of puncatrator
    puncatrator
    Participant

I started with bass and never used a metronome but then took up drums and figured out that for those two instruments its totally essential! sorry but your rhythm will suck if you don’t use a metronome or click track when you practice.

maybe its okay if you just play guitar or something but if you are a bassist or drummer you need that solid beat

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I haven’t used a metronome for playing or tuning things since 3rd grade haha. My music teacher LOVED using it while teaching us. He was one of the best teachers I can remember having. You can tell he truly loved music and loved teaching people.

Profile photo of krystal8
    krystal8
    Participant

When practicing scales and arpeggios, I find it’s helpful to use a metronome. It helps you to develop the ability to play “in the pocket.” I played bass guitar for many years and always played with a metronome. I still use it now when I practice my classical guitar. I think it’s an important part of being a professional musician for me. I want to be my best and continually develop my skills and technique.

I thought this was an interesting discussion so I wrote a new FAQ about using metronomes for ear training!

What’s the point of using a metronome?

Profile photo of trentvon
    trentvon
    Participant

It’s surpirsint to hear that not many people use one. I guess it can help with very complex stuff.

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I honestly assumed most people did use them, and very few didn’t.

Profile photo of pomeroy
    pomeroy
    Participant

I found that when practicing by myself it is easy to get off-beat. Unless I am learning a new piece and can’t play as fast as the song requires, I like to play with a metronome.

When I practice with other people, however, I don’t really use a metronome because it is easier to tell if you are off-beat from everyone else.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

I’ve never used one. A couple of times recently I’ve tried to use a few apps. It just messes me up plus I play louder than the sound. I think you can also get too dependent on them & lose the feeling of the music. My teacher feels the same. Though maybe it’s all my sight reading that keeps me in time. For stuff I play by ear I go with the feeling. When I play with my teacher singing it’s easy to stay together, at least for me.

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I have a Boss metronome…used it a couple of times. It is a very good quality gadget but I have to admit, that getting it to mix with my practice is not the easiest task. That is where the loop station comes in handy :D.

Profile photo of mezzo
    mezzo
    Participant

I usually use the metronome at some point during my practice session. I feel it is a good way to keep checking if you are using the right tempo. I use it at the beginning and middle of my practice session so I start out right hopefully and then check myself again somewhere in the middle. But I do that usually while sight singing.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@mezzo The metronome doesn’t throw you off? Are you singing by yourself or with an accompianist?

Profile photo of mezzo
    mezzo
    Participant

It does throw me off sometimes but I feel it is important to practice at least a couple of times with it. Like I said it helps me keep a check on my timing and rhythm. I sing and practice by myself.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@mezzo If you sing by yourself then I guess it would be helpful. Probably easy to get off track. I know sometimes when I play I have a certain timing & feeling in my head that I’m trying to get across, but when I record it, sometimes it just comes off as hesitation, because I;m not singing. The same thing must happen to you in reverse :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!