Is it harder to learn with music sheets in front of you?

Home Ear Training Forums Ear Training Planning and Practice Is it harder to learn with music sheets in front of you?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

Aside from some basic things I learned in school as a kid, I know very little about reading sheet music. I heard that it is harder to start from reading sheets than it is to just play without them in the begining. I am not even sure if I am saying this properly. lol I for one find music sheets hard to look at and understand. I am a noob when it comes to that. I know in order to make a song you would have to know how to write it but it seems so difficult.

Profile photo of chaulky
    chaulky
    Participant

Dont give up you need to keep trying. There is a good thread about fake books http://www.easyeartraining.com/forums/topic/learn-to-fake-it/ this could be a good place to try and master one part and then move onto the whole package?

britanica
    Participant

I was reading through that page. The few things I read or watched online seem to point in the direction of using proper hold, finger placement, ect. and playing a simple song by hearing alone. Then after that, start with sheet music. I am not sure if that is truthfully easier or not.

Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

Reading sheet music take a lot of time to do it fast. I believe that only with plenty of dedication you can get it good at it so don’t give up.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

I’m actually the opposite. When I was learning piano 10 years ago, I could only play using sheet music. I had a hard time playing “by ear”. I wish I had something similar to Easy Ear Training back then, because I had to learn to listen to music the hard way.

Profile photo of jtabon
    jtabon
    Participant

Sight reading is no fun when you’re used to playing by ear. But ideally, a musician should be able to play by ear and by reading music.

I like reading music, it makes me feel I’m doing it right rather than playing it by ear and just guessing the chords inversions or chords used.

It is hard but if you practice everyday, you’ll get the hang of it and you’ll never notice it anymore. The key is to practice slowly and make sure you hit those notes while reading and playing the music.

Profile photo of v3jimenez
    v3jimenez
    Participant

its hard for me to learn a song if theres sheet music coz i read it real slow. id rather just know the chords of the song and figure out the melody from there.

on the other hand, id surely need sheet music to learn choir and classical pieces more easily and accurately

so i guess for someone who have little sight reading skill, sheet music makes learning a song harder or easier depending on the need to play a song by the letter

Music is Freedom

britanica
    Participant

Thanks for all your words. I struggle with reading the sheets too slow as well. It seems like I can play a lot faster than I can read it. I get frustrated with it. I try to avoid using it now. haha

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

If I improvise I just need the chart, but if I really want to know a piece really, sheet music is indispensable. I mean you can miss really subtle things with just hearing, but you can also come up with some interesting alterations .

Profile photo of zeitaliesin
    zeitaliesin
    Participant

Having said that I think it’s really fun to do both and they really work hand in hand if you do it the way they do here

Profile photo of mezzo
    mezzo
    Participant

I just started sight reading earlier this year. Initially, I would get really conscious and confused as reading and recognising note heads itself takes a while. I used to find it really hard but I have been trying to read about 4 or 5 lines a day and I think it is getting better.

I feel it is harder and it does take a lot of effort especially if you start learning as an adult.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@caylalayman I’m with you. It’s how I learned to play as a kid. Now trying to do things by ear with chords too & not just plucking out a melody is a challenge. I wish I had some ear training as a kid when I was first starting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!