Joining a "virtual" band

Home Ear Training Forums Tips, Tricks and Resources Resources Joining a "virtual" band

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of quintusvw quintusvw 9 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dayzd
    dayzd
    Participant

I just read this article

http://makingmusicmag.com/virtual-band/

about how some musicians now collaborate online which seems really really cool.

Taylor writes complete lyrics and e-mails them to Lyons. Lyons composes the melody and chord progressions and records a simple rough draft. She and Taylor usually do a little back and forth to refine the lyrics and melody, before sending the draft to Blackwell. Lyons also sends Blackwell her rough vocal files and instrumental files.

Blackwell then produces the song. He plays and records most of the instruments, though occasionally Lyons will play an instrumental track or they’ll bring in a guest musician. As Blackwell produces, he sends drafts to Lyons and Taylor for comments and suggestions. This production back and forth usually takes several weeks. When Blackwell is finished playing, arranging, and producing all of the music, Lyons records her final vocal. Blackwell then does a final mix with that vocal and they do some more back and forth, as they all listen and make suggestions to refine the mix.

They use this forum to collaborate: http://forums.taxi.com/

Has anyone here joined a virtual band like this?! I write a lot of songs that never get finished and maybe if I had other people to work on them with they would

Profile photo of larsguitar
    larsguitar
    Participant

I think some of them even jam live from different locations simultaneously now.

Profile photo of trentvon
    trentvon
    Participant

I have actually seen some concerts live of this sort It’s quite fun to watch.

Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

I have heard of people doing this over skype and on youtube. People from around the world coming together to make music. I love it. I wish I was talented. I would love to make music with someone half way around the world!

Profile photo of bignoisemusic
    bignoisemusic
    Participant

Has anyone here joined a virtual band like this?! I write a lot of songs that never get finished and maybe if I had other people to work on them with they would

I haven’t, but that’s pretty interesting. I have a problem finishing songs, particularly lyrics.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

What a really cool concept, I never knew anything like this existed.

Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I first came across this concept on youtube a couple of years back. A drummer from South Africa doing a song with a singer/musician from USA. Before that I never though about it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!