Normal piano or grand

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Normal piano or grand

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of alexx alexx 9 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of quintusvw
    quintusvw
    Participant

I’m planing to get one for my music room one day (dreaming big). What would you say is the best? I have seen people rave about the grand (even a baby grand), but what makes the big difference? And why?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw Now you’re in my territory, ha ha. Dream big. Since I was 9 yrs old I wanted to play the piano. My parents bought an organ. I had to play it. I vowed that one day I would have a piano. Nothing would do except a black, glossy, Yamaha baby grand.

Fast forward 30+ years & I was able to get one. Not a Yamaha, but pretty dang close. They’re all called grands now, no matter the size.

There are differences in all the different vertical styles, and then differences between verticals & grands. The action of the keys is the difference in the 2 types, as well as the sound between vertical & the horizontal of the grand. In grands, the longer the piano, the bigger the sound, but even the smallest grand has a big sound.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    quintusvw
    Participant

Ah, she is magnifico!!! I would love to have one of these, but for some reason the white plays a bit more on my strings, but both black and white are beautiful.

Don’t they just demand a sense of respect? Not even being played they still sing sweet melodies.

quintusvw
    Participant

A very good combination.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@quintusvw Cool video. Wish I could have seen Elton John & Billy Joel together. Saw both separately though. It’s always a black Yamaha! My teacher doesn’t like the Yamaha sound, that always makes me feel better :)

Oops! Please ignore my comment about whit pianos being “tacky.” I just prefer the understated statement a black grand commands. Respect, you’re right.

My sisters’ mother in law has a grand as a decoration. I love my piano. BTW, I don’t play it up like that. I just raise it 4″ so it doesn’t get muddy…it’s on a tile floor. It’s down other times. Keeps dust out.

Profile photo of caylalayman
    caylalayman
    Participant

Beautiful, @alexx! Simply beautiful.

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@caylalayman

Beautiful, @alexx! Simply beautiful.

Profile photo of bsamples
    bsamples
    Participant

@alexx: That looks similar to my mother’s piano. Beautiful instrument! Do you play any others?

Profile photo of alexx
    alexx
    Participant

@bsamples Thanks! I started out playing the organ as a kid, but I haven’t played one in years. As of right now, I’m only playing piano. Although my husbands’ guitar is sitting around collecting dust, so who knows?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!