Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 8 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 378 total)
  • Author

Welcome, @auntie!

That sounds like a wonderfully busy musical life :)

To improve your voice I’d recommend checking out our Singing page, particularly the FAQs there. For harmony singing I would strongly encourage you to use a cappella ear training.

For finding the melody on your instruments you’ll find some relevant tips in our articles on Playing By Ear.

Good to have you with us!

Hi, I’m Catherine. I play and sing bluegrass; intermediate Flatpicking guitar, beginning claw hammer banjo and beginner mandolin. I love to sing while playing and have had no singing lessons. My voice is not strong, I often have difficulty finding and staying on melody and would love to fix that. Additionally, I would like to sing harmony. I am also working on finding the melody on my instruments as a beginning point to improvising leads and taking breaks.

Profile photo of vamcmag
    vamcmag
    Participant

My name is Maggie and I want to sing well – at least well enough that my child does not ask me to stop (hah! I am not kidding!), to join in and share the joys of music with friends, family, church, social things, and for my own pleasure. I found this site through searches for “how to sing in tune” (and variants). I am not a musician and have no musical training, though some exposure through the course of life, etc. I took an online test that says I am not “tone-deaf”, and hope that through exercise and training I can learn to hear and sing on pitch, in key, etc., and continue to develop and improve my understanding and practice of music.

Profile photo of benj2925
    benj2925
    Participant

Hi I’m Benjamin. I’m fifteen years old, I live in Denmark and I’m playing the guitar.
    What I want out this ear training is to simply advance my skills musically, just like any other, who has signed up for this course I suppose.

Hi @vamcmag and welcome! I’m sure we can help you get singing with confidence :)

In fact, we just published a new article this week which helps you pin down what could help you get a better voice:

The 16 Keys to a Good Singing Voice

We also have a new interactive product on the way which you might be interested in. You can get more information on that here.

Good to have you with us, and please keep us posted on your progress!

My name is Maggie and I want to sing well – at least well enough that my child does not ask me to stop (hah! I am not kidding!), to join in and share the joys of music with friends, family, church, social things, and for my own pleasure. I found this site through searches for “how to sing in tune” (and variants). I am not a musician and have no musical training, though some exposure through the course of life, etc. I took an online test that says I am not “tone-deaf”, and hope that through exercise and training I can learn to hear and sing on pitch, in key, etc., and continue to develop and improve my understanding and practice of music.

Welcome @benj2925!

What I want out this ear training is to simply advance my skills musically, just like any other, who has signed up for this course I suppose.

You might be surprised at the wide variety of reasons which bring people to ear training… However, you’ve hit upon the key one, which is that it helps you become a more able and confident musician.

I hope the Crash Course will be useful for you. If you have any questions just post them here!

Profile photo of bodgerman
    bodgerman
    Participant

Hi, I am Ian and I want to be able to sing in a male choir. I wish to learn to sight read and sing melodies from a score. I don’t understand intervals or the different types of scales.

Hi @bodgerman,

Great! I hope the resources on our Singing page will be helpful for you.

You might find our Pitch & Harmony series is just what you need to connect singing with intervals and scales.

Welcome!

Hi, I am Ian and I want to be able to sing in a male choir. I wish to learn to sight read and sing melodies from a score. I don’t understand intervals or the different types of scales.

Profile photo of saffire1
    saffire1
    Participant

Hi, I’m Saffire. I sing and compose songs. I want to learn how to read music and play the piano.

Profile photo of mightymojo
    mightymojo
    Participant

Hey there! I’m Renay, but my friends call me Ren. I’m a percussionist learning 4-string electric bass. I hear my music in my head, and hope to one day be able to play what I hear. My grandma was a professional piano player, so I know that it’s in my DNA. So far, I’m enjoying the course, and I look forward to this new adventure with you all. :)

Welcome @saffire1!

We have a few song-writers here in the community now, I hope you’ll be able to exchange useful tips on improving your ears for creative music-making…

For note reading, I tend to recommend the excellent music ‘books’ from dlp.

Great to have you with us!

Hi, I’m Saffire. I sing and compose songs. I want to learn how to read music and play the piano.

Welcome @mightymojo (or can I call you Ren?)

I expect you already have pretty strong rhythmic play-by-ear skills, so it will be a matter of adding in the relative pitch component of playing bass.

Good luck with it! And if you hit any snags or have a question, please go ahead and post it here in the forums.

Hey there! I’m Renay, but my friends call me Ren. I’m a percussionist learning 4-string electric bass. I hear my music in my head, and hope to one day be able to play what I hear. My grandma was a professional piano player, so I know that it’s in my DNA. So far, I’m enjoying the course, and I look forward to this new adventure with you all. :)

Profile photo of mightymojo
    mightymojo
    Participant

Hey there, Christopher!

Of course you can call me Ren. :)

I’m pleased to share that I devoted a huge chunk of time to the Relative Pitch app today. I can now distinguish between the Major and Minor Thirds using the Mixed Instruments option. I’m really diggin’ these new skills, and I’m having fun learning.

Onward and inward,
    Ren

I am Satish. I am interesting in learning to play a musical instrument – for right now I am inclined towards a string instrument.

Hi Ren/@mightymojo,

That’s fantastic to hear! Well done, and keep up the good work :)

I’m pleased to share that I devoted a huge chunk of time to the Relative Pitch app today. I can now distinguish between the Major and Minor Thirds using the Mixed Instruments option. I’m really diggin’ these new skills, and I’m having fun learning.

Hi Satish/@c-satish-kumargmail-com,

Thanks for introducing yourself! It’s a good thing to start developing your sense of music through ear training before diving into learning an instrument.

String instruments can be slightly tricky ones to begin with as you’ll require good ears to be able to pitch notes correctly (more info here). But it’s important to choose an instrument which inspires you and to try a few out before committing to learning one fully.

Good to have you with us!

I am Satish. I am interesting in learning to play a musical instrument – for right now I am inclined towards a string instrument.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!