Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of paradisbill
    paradisbill
    Participant

Hi! When I was a boy, my dad (loved him dearly) told me I “couldn’t sing” and had a “dead ear”. I believed him and for years and years was embarrassed to sing…and so didn’t. I did lead a rock and roll band playing the piano and played trumpet and saxophone. I love music. Now, some 50 years later, I “free play” (improvise without structure) quite well on piano, but still am hampered with this self-image of “interval-challenged” and “pitch challenged” which I now think comes from years of not singing. Hopefully, this site will FINALLY cure all that.

Anyone out there who can relate to this?

Profile photo of colorguard94690
    colorguard94690
    Participant

Hello. I’m Stephanie and I play the flute. I’ve been playing a little over a year now and I already can play the entire range. I want to train my ears so I can play by ear and transcribe music, particularly songs I can’t find sheet music for.

Hi @paradisbill,

Welcome to the community!

And what a wonderful story you have. I’m so glad to hear you overcame the initial discouragement and found your way to a musical life.

Singing isn’t obligatory for good musicianship but it is perhaps the most powerful way to develop your ear – so if you can start incorporating it into your practice you should see good results. You’ll find some singing ear training tips here.

I’m sure there are many in our community (both among those who post here and those who quietly read) who can relate strongly to your story and probably find it a source of inspiration and encouragement.

Hi! When I was a boy, my dad (loved him dearly) told me I “couldn’t sing” and had a “dead ear”. I believed him and for years and years was embarrassed to sing…and so didn’t. I did lead a rock and roll band playing the piano and played trumpet and saxophone. I love music. Now, some 50 years later, I “free play” (improvise without structure) quite well on piano, but still am hampered with this self-image of “interval-challenged” and “pitch challenged” which I now think comes from years of not singing. Hopefully, this site will FINALLY cure all that.

Anyone out there who can relate to this?

Welcome Stephanie/@colorguard94690!

It’s great that you’ve decided to train your ears quite early in learning your instrument, this will benefit you significantly as you learn and improve.

I hope our pages on Transcription and Playing By Ear will provide some useful resources as you develop your ear for flute.

Good to have you with us!

Hello. I’m Stephanie and I play the flute. I’ve been playing a little over a year now and I already can play the entire range. I want to train my ears so I can play by ear and transcribe music, particularly songs I can’t find sheet music for.

Profile photo of gt500
    gt500
    Participant

Hi guys Darren here I am learning guitar and I hear ear training to help so here I am

Profile photo of 09law
    09law
    Participant

Hi! I’m Kevin! I love music and it’s one of my passions. I’ve played saxophone for 7 years but would love to sing or play any other instrument! I am trying to improve my aural dictation skills for my upcoming final music exam, so i’m going back to the basics: interval recognition. I hope that over the next few weeks, this course will be able to help improve many aspects of my aural skills for my exam and also for my future music endeavours.

Profile photo of juano
    juano
    Participant

Hi, my name is juan pablo, i’m a basist and synthesizerist, and i want to improve my ears to be better at composing, improvising, playing by ear and also to synthesize better

Profile photo of ikyun
    ikyun
    Participant

Hello! My name is Immanuel. I’m only fifteen, but love music! I sing, play guitar, play piano, and did a little bit of band percussion in middle school. My mom caught me once singing off key with my guitar, so I really want to develop my singing abilities so that won’t happen again!

Hey Darren (@gt500)

Welcome! Ear training can definitely help you with guitar, particularly if you’re looking for that elusive musical “instinct” that some players seem to have.

Lots of guitar goodies to explore here.

Hi guys Darren here I am learning guitar and I hear ear training to help so here I am

Hi Kevin (@09law),

Thanks for introducing yourself! It’s great to have you with us in the EasyEarTraining.com community.

We have some resources which might be helpful for your exam prep on our Transcription ear training page. And I wrote a bit about how to approach it in this article.

Good luck with your studies and your exam, and if you have any questions or need help please just shout!

Hi! I’m Kevin! I love music and it’s one of my passions. I’ve played saxophone for 7 years but would love to sing or play any other instrument! I am trying to improve my aural dictation skills for my upcoming final music exam, so i’m going back to the basics: interval recognition. I hope that over the next few weeks, this course will be able to help improve many aspects of my aural skills for my exam and also for my future music endeavours.

Hi Juan Pablo (@juano)

Excellent! That sounds like a solid set of reasons to train your ears :)

Our Bass and Keyboard pages might be a good place to start, and of course if you need a hand planning your training you are very welcome to post a question here on the forums.

Good to have you with us!

Hi, my name is juan pablo, i’m a basist and synthesizerist, and i want to improve my ears to be better at composing, improvising, playing by ear and also to synthesize better

Welcome, Immanuel (@ikyun)

It’s terrific that you’re starting ear training at an early age, that will really help you develop into an excellent musician.

Lots of musicians (even very capable ones) have difficulty with singing in tune. Our singing ear training FAQs have some helpful tips and exercises to help with this!

Good luck with your training, and please keep us posted on your progress :)

Hello! My name is Immanuel. I’m only fifteen, but love music! I sing, play guitar, play piano, and did a little bit of band percussion in middle school. My mom caught me once singing off key with my guitar, so I really want to develop my singing abilities so that won’t happen again!

Profile photo of smoothk459
    smoothk459
    Participant

Hello all,

My name is Kevin and I live in South Carolina. I am a self-taught guitarist and I am hoping to really develop my ear to help me advance further with my guitar studies. I am excited about this course and look forward to maybe meeting others with similar interests.

Take care,

Kevin

Welcome, Kevin (@smoothk459)!

It’s great to have another guitar player in the members community. I think you’ll find a few interesting discussions here on the forums already.

The Ear Expansion course will help you get off to a great start developing your ear, and particularly the dual goals of developing relative pitch (intervals, scales, chords, etc.) and the audio side (EQ and FX, etc.)

Enjoy the course, and if you have any questions along the way just ask and we’ll be happy to help!

Hello all,

My name is Kevin and I live in South Carolina. I am a self-taught guitarist and I am hoping to really develop my ear to help me advance further with my guitar studies. I am excited about this course and look forward to maybe meeting others with similar interests.

Take care,

Kevin

Profile photo of jendowty
    jendowty
    Participant

Hi, I’m Jen. I’ve played piano for over 20 years, organ for nearly 15, and have been working on guitar (acoustic & electric) for a few. Now, I am delving into the world of dance accompaniment (mostly ballet), and would like to equip myself to play a little more improvisational. Being classically trained in the piano, ear training and “winging it” were something I was not introduced to until later in my life when I began playing with other musicians who didn’t read music.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!