Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 378 total)
  • Author

Welcome, Micah! Playing by ear is indeed a very cool and enviable ability :) I hope your ear training will help you develop the skill quickly!

It’s great to have another song writer here on the site. Have you seen our song writing page and this video which @DayZD shared?

Hey guys! My name is Micah (My-kah) :) and I am a singer/songwriter.
    I signed up for ear training so that I can understand the magic behind what I do, and I also want to be able to play the guitar and keyboard by ear like my father (I think its the coolest thing ever) lol.

Hi Parissa, and welcome! I would love to hear more about the listening skills which go into playing Santour… Is it mostly relative pitch and figuring out melodies by ear?

Hi, my name is Parissa and I am from Iran, I play Santour (a Persian musical instrument) and my teacher teaches me Santour just by ear, so I want to improve my ear ;)

Profile photo of par4301
    par4301
    Participant

yeah, you are exactly right, Chris, the main issue is relative pitch, however in Persian music we have some shorter accidentals (rather than sharp and flat), it’s half the sharp and half the flat :D (sorry, I know I explain awfully in English) but I mean between two natural note, there are three accidentals here, not just one (I mean sharp or flat) :) so my job is a little harder :)

Hi Parissa,

Thanks for explaining! That sounds like it would require some serious pitch ear training… Good luck with your training, and if you need any help please feel free to ask :)

yeah, you are exactly right, Chris, the main issue is relative pitch, however in Persian music we have some shorter accidentals (rather than sharp and flat), it’s half the sharp and half the flat :D (sorry, I know I explain awfully in English) but I mean between two natural note, there are three accidentals here, not just one (I mean sharp or flat) :) so my job is a little harder :)

Profile photo of french-horn
    french-horn
    Participant

Hi! I am B! I play French Horn. As the notes on a horn are primarily achieved by ear and I am taking this course in hopes to strengthen my hearing to discern the semi tone more readily.

Profile photo of andersonkil
    andersonkil
    Participant

Hi!

My name is Anderson and I’m from Brazil. I’ve been playing guitar for the last years and even doing things that is hard to do on guitar I still can’t play by ear. This is a difficulty I hope to treat with this course.

In my research for ear training I’ve found some great sites and books, and this seems to be a great one!

Some videos I recorded:

Thanks!

Hi B!

Welcome, and thanks for introducing yourself. Pitching notes accurately is a great motivator for your ear training, and I hope the Ear Expansion course will help you with it.

You might also like to check out this FAQ about tones and semitones.

Hi! I am B! I play French Horn. As the notes on a horn are primarily achieved by ear and I am taking this course in hopes to strengthen my hearing to discern the semi tone more readily.

Welcome, Anderson!

Thanks for introducing yourself and sharing your videos – very cool! I’m a Dream Theater fan myself…

I hope that our resources and Ear Expansion course will prove useful. Be sure to check out our Guitar and Playing By Ear pages and Brad Mavin’s video tutorials.

Any questions – just ask!

Hi!

My name is Anderson and I’m from Brazil. I’ve been playing guitar for the last years and even doing things that is hard to do on guitar I still can’t play by ear. This is a difficulty I hope to treat with this course.

In my research for ear training I’ve found some great sites and books, and this seems to be a great one!

Some videos I recorded:

Thanks!

Profile photo of dread
    dread
    Participant

My name is dread,I love playing piano,drums,and bass,my rhythm&timing is good,but I needs to know what note,I hear.

Welcome @dread!

It sounds like you will enjoy exploring our Relative Pitch topic. If you need any help, just shout!

My name is dread,I love playing piano,drums,and bass,my rhythm&timing is good,but I needs to know what note,I hear.

Profile photo of stanleyyylau
    stanleyyylau
    Participant

I’m Stanley . I used to play ukulele and found it too easy then decided to dig in some music theory stuff and that’s how I felt lost. Music theory is easy. But the ear training part is huge ! But anyway I’m happy to see you guys here and I hope we all can improve together and be the musician we alway wanted to be !

Profile photo of huji
    huji
    Participant

Hello !
    I’m a guitar player , I’ve been playing for a long time but I don’t really feel the progress , well technically it’s obvious , but I’m looking forward to improve my theorical knowledge and I want to feel what I’m playing and more important to play what I feel , that’s why I’m here to train my ear
    About myself , My name is Bilel and I’m 20 years old , I first played the guitar when I was about 16 , I live in Tunisia , I have recently had a teacher to achieve the purpose described above .
    I’m so glad joining this community .
    P.S: I felt so welcome via the E-mails I recieved , really good idea !

Hi Stanley, great to have you with us!

Music theory in isolation can get a bit frustrating – the concepts seem simple, but then they can be hard to connect with the music you’re actually playing or hearing.

I tend to think of learning music as the trio of:

1. Learning an instrument
    2. Learning music theory
    3. Training your ears

Doing all three is the most effective way to become a competent and confident musician. The more you can find ways to relate each one to the other two, the more you’ll enjoy it all.

Thanks for introducing yourself, and I look forward to hearing more about your progress!

I’m Stanley . I used to play ukulele and found it too easy then decided to dig in some music theory stuff and that’s how I felt lost. Music theory is easy. But the ear training part is huge ! But anyway I’m happy to see you guys here and I hope we all can improve together and be the musician we alway wanted to be !

Welcome, Bilel! Thanks for sharing your musical background with us :)

I like the way you put it: “to feel what I’m playing and play what I feel” – ear training is definitely the key to that! Our Playing By Ear and Improvisation pages would be good places to start your exploration.

You’re very welcome in this community, please don’t hesitate to ask questions or share your progress.

Good to have you with us!

Hello !
    I’m a guitar player , I’ve been playing for a long time but I don’t really feel the progress , well technically it’s obvious , but I’m looking forward to improve my theorical knowledge and I want to feel what I’m playing and more important to play what I feel , that’s why I’m here to train my ear

Profile photo of training
    training
    Participant

hi – I would like to be able to read a score an immediately get the pitch in my head or be able to sing it without having to play it on an instrument…

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!