Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

Home Ear Training Forums Chat Welcome! Say hi and introduce yourself :)

This topic contains 377 replies, has 171 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tenabrown tenabrown 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of britanica
    britanica
    Participant

My name is Britanica and I am interested in learning to play the violin by ear.

Profile photo of chaulky
    chaulky
    Participant

Hi, Im Chaulky i have started to play the acoustic guitar and looking to learn and improve my music. It looks like Ear Training is a great first step!

Welcome, @britanica!

Playing by ear is a great benefit of ear training, and it develops a finely-honed sense of pitch too, essential for violin.

Good to have you with us!

My name is Britanica and I am interested in learning to play the violin by ear.

Hi @chaulky! Welcome to the community and thanks for introducing yourself.

Starting ear training at the same time as starting a new instrument is a smart move. I hope you’ll find it really pays off. If you have any questions, just shout!

Hi, Im Chaulky i have started to play the acoustic guitar and looking to learn and improve my music. It looks like Ear Training is a great first step!

Profile photo of jaxon
    jaxon
    Participant

Hi, my name is Jaxon and I’m interested in learning to play the piano by ear…

Welcome @jaxon! Good to meet you.

I suggest diving into our Learn To Play By Ear series and then posting a new thread here if you want personalised help planning your training :)

Hi, my name is Jaxon and I’m interested in learning to play the piano by ear…

Profile photo of krystal8
    krystal8
    Participant

Hello, My name is Krystal. I’ve played guitar for many years. I started with a rock guitar and expanded into classical guitar and jazz bass guitar. I am continually learning and growing. One thing I haven’t invested enough time into is ear training until recently. This site seems to cover everything I want and need to work on!

Profile photo of jaxon
    jaxon
    Participant

Hi I’m Jaxon and I’m really new to the Piano. In fact I only started to learn to play 2 weeks ago and I’ve learnt all the scales already….but what I’d dearly love to learn is; how to pick what note a song (any song) is played in, and be able to play it…I played guitar for many years by ear but had to give it up because I have 2 arthritic fingers (L) hand and can no longer bend them properly to press the guitar strings..I wondered if you have some advice for me re-piano..By the way, I’m no good at playing base yet…both my hands don’t seem to like each other..
    P.S. I’m not tone deaf though…(and I guess practice makes perfect huh?)

Hi @krystal8,

It sounds like you have a great attitude to music, always looking to improve. If you’ve developed the technical mastery of guitar and bass you’ll find that some ear training goes a long way! It will be easy to apply your new music theory and play-by-ear skills as you learn.

Welcome to the community! And if you have any questions or need help just post a new discussion here.

Hello, My name is Krystal. I’ve played guitar for many years. I started with a rock guitar and expanded into classical guitar and jazz bass guitar. I am continually learning and growing. One thing I haven’t invested enough time into is ear training until recently. This site seems to cover everything I want and need to work on!

Welcome, @jaxon! Great to meet you.

I hope learning piano will give you a whole new burst of musical enjoyment after moving on from guitar.

The good news is that a lot of your “by ear” skills will be common between guitar and piano. The trick is to learn how to interpret your instinctive understanding of what notes are being played in a way that makes sense for piano keys rather than guitar frets.

The biggest piece of advice I could offer would be to focus on “chord piano” rather than playing individual notes from sheet music. There’s a thread about fake books which might be useful.

If you learn some basic major and minor triads on the piano (for example, just learn C, F, G and A minor) and get fluent with playing them in your left and right hands, then you can take your Chord Progression listening skills and start improvising and playing songs by ear without getting too caught up in the intricacies of advanced piano fingerings…

I hope that helps you get started. If you need a hand just post a new question!

Hi I’m Jaxon and I’m really new to the Piano. In fact I only started to learn to play 2 weeks ago and I’ve learnt all the scales already….but what I’d dearly love to learn is; how to pick what note a song (any song) is played in, and be able to play it…I played guitar for many years by ear but had to give it up because I have 2 arthritic fingers (L) hand and can no longer bend them properly to press the guitar strings..I wondered if you have some advice for me re-piano..By the way, I’m no good at playing base yet…both my hands don’t seem to like each other..
    P.S. I’m not tone deaf though…(and I guess practice makes perfect huh?)

Profile photo of nbarnard
    nbarnard
    Participant

Howdy! I’m Nick. I play English Handbells both in a full choir as well as in a quartet. I’m not really sure what I’m looking for from ear training. I think I’ve got a half way descent ear, but I don’t quite know how to describe what I’m hearing at times. So I guess I’m aiming to put words in my head and learn the language of musicians a bit better.

Profile photo of sann
    sann
    Participant

Hi, My name is Shannon. I play classical guitar and I believe ear training is an important element to playing well.

Hi @nbarnard and welcome!

English Handbells is quite an unusual instrument! I’d love to see any clips of your playing if you have some? You can share them here.

It sounds like the combination of music theory and ear training is what you’re looking for. You need a bit of theory understanding to know the right “labels” for musical elements, and then ear training lets you know the right labels for the things you hear. For example, it would be helpful to understand the concepts around scales to know how your handbells fit in, and then ear training would help you recognise which note is which by ear. I imagine rhythm skills will also be key for you.

If you need to brush up on theory I’d recommend Dave Conservatoire. And of course if you have any questions on the ear training side please feel free to ask here on the forums!

Howdy! I’m Nick. I play English Handbells both in a full choir as well as in a quartet. I’m not really sure what I’m looking for from ear training. I think I’ve got a half way descent ear, but I don’t quite know how to describe what I’m hearing at times. So I guess I’m aiming to put words in my head and learn the language of musicians a bit better.

Welcome, @sann!

Of course I’m biased – but I couldn’t agree more! Ear training can truly distinguish an excellent play from a merely adequate one. If you’re looking to bring new life and expression to your classical guitar playing, honing your listening skills is a great way to go.

Good to have you with us!

Hi, My name is Shannon. I play classical guitar and I believe ear training is an important element to playing well.

Profile photo of joanelaine
    joanelaine
    Participant

Hi,
    My name is Joan. I am just learning to play the guitar and finding out that it is harder than it looks. Also finding out that I have no ear training.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 378 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Share This!